Where and How to Register to VoteYou must register at least 28 days prior to an election in order to vote in that election. You can register by mail, online or in person.
In order to register to vote, you must meet these qualifications:
- You must be a United States citizen
- You must be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- You must live in your election precinct at least 30 days before the next election
- You must not be convicted and in jail
- You cannot claim the right to vote anywhere else
You can register in person at the City Clerk's Office in City Hall Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm for all residents of DuPage County
or at the Election Commission office in addition to some local Libraries. A list of voter registration locations is available at: dupageco.org/election. In order to register, applicants are required to furnish two forms of identification, and except in the case of a homeless individual, one of which must include his or her residence address.
- Driver's license, social security card, public aid identification card, utility bill, employee or student identification card, lease or contract for a residence, credit card, or a civic, union or professional association membership card.
Recent legislation now allows you to complete an application online via the Illinois State Board of Elections website.
NOTE: To apply electronically you must provide:
- Your Illinois Driver’s License number or Illinois Secretary of State issued State ID number.
- Date the license or ID was issued.
- The last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Your birth date.
You can also register by mail using an approved registration application form. You may download a PDF registration form, or you may contact the Election Commission to have a form sent to you. Instructions are included on the form for where to mail it.
Please note the following deadline information:
- You must mail or deliver this form no later than 28 days before the next election.
- If you do not receive a confirmation within 4 weeks of mailing or delivering this form, call the DuPage County Election Commission at 630-407-5600.
- If you have never registered to vote in DuPage County and you are now registering, then you must send one of the following with this application: (1) A copy of a current and valid photo identification -or- (2) A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address.
- If you do not provide the information required above, then you will be required to provide election officials with this information the first time you vote at the polling place.
- If you register by mail, then you must vote in person the first time you vote if you do not supply the required identification.
- If the form is not completed in full, the application will NOT be processed.
For your convenience, a downloadable Voter Application has been provided as an Acrobat PDF document.
You do not need to re-register to vote unless you have changed your name or moved to a different address.
For any additional voter or election questions, please contact the DuPage Election Commission at 630-407-5600 or www.dupageco.org/election/.
*Please note voting is done electronically on machines provided by the Election Commission.
Vote By MailAll registered voters are eligible to vote by mail. Mail in ballot request forms are available in the Clerks Office at Elmhurst City Hall.
Vote by mail requests may also be made online here: Vote by Mail Application. The last day the DuPage Election Commission will mail a ballot to a voter is 5 days prior to the election.
As soon as ballots are available (40 days prior to the election) a ballot and instructions will be mailed to the voters who have applied online on the Election Commission's website or submitted a completed hard copy application.
Vote by mail ballots that are mailed in can be tracked online here and must be postmarked no later than Election Day. Vote by mail ballots may also be dropped off at a drop box located at Elmhurst City Hall starting June 13, 2022 For other drop box locations please see the DuPage County Election Website.