Water Meter Change Out
The City of Elmhurst is embarking on a program that will replace all residential and commercial water meters with new automated meters. The new meters will replace older, underperforming units with new technology that will identify high water usage and potential leaks.
The meters will continue to automatically transmit data wirelessly and eliminate the need to manually drive past to read each meter. This allows the City to be more efficient and save money by preventing recording errors and eliminating time consuming manual meter reading.
Every water customer will receive a new water meter at no additional cost. It will take about 1 year to replace all of the meters in the City. The City is the process of awarding a contract to Siemens to perform this meter upgrade. The subcontracted installer (PMI) will need access to your home to replace the meter. Siemens will work with you to arrange a convenient appropriate time to complete this task.
If you have any questions regarding this project, please contact Paul Burris at 630-530-3042 or email.
- What is the Water Meter Replacement Program?
- How does the meter reading system work?
- Who will be installing the upgrade?
- Do I have to be home for the upgrade work?
- What can I can do to make the installation smoother?
- What work is involved at my property?
- How long will the installation upgrade take?
- Does this mean no more meter readers?
- How will the data from my meter used?
- Will the radio interfere with my television, cordless phone or other electronic devices?
- Will the city be able to monitor water usage more frequently, therefore informing us earlier?
- Can we use the meter to monitor our own usage electronically?
- Is there any other device that could potentially help us to know when we may be using more water than we should?
- Is this change out mandatory?
- Where is my water meter?
- I cannot find my water meter in the house, where else might it be?
- Will the water meter be hooked up to my houses power?
- Where will communication device (MTU) be located?
- I lost my water meter change out notification letter, what number do I call?
- During the water meter change out, PMI will be documenting any Cross Connection Devices there may be on your water service you might have attached to system. What is a cross connection device?