City of Elmhurst Electric Aggregation Program FAQs

What is the ComEd rate?

In May 2018, the ComEd rate was announced to be 7.941¢ for the period October 2018 to May 2019. However, due to a settlement by the Illinois Commerce Commission and Midwest state regulators, it has dropped to 7.292¢ per kWh for this same period. The ComEd rate will change again June 2019. This rate is comprised of electricity supply and transmission services.  The Purchased Electricity Adjustment (PEA) is charged or credited and can vary monthly. The same ComEd rate including the PEA charge or credit will be charged to all participants in the Elmhurst Green Electricity Aggregation Program, whether enrolled with mc2 or whether receiving supply service via ComEd. To learn more about electric rates, visit, the site created by the Illinois Commerce Commission to inform ratepayers.

Where does green energy come from?

Wind generation sites are the primary source of renewable green energy in the State of Illinois, followed by solar, hydro, and methane gas from landfills. Nuclear and natural gas are not considered renewable green resources for power generation.

If we buy 100% green energy, will our homes be powered by the actual electricity that is generated by windmills, solar, hydro, etc.?

The power grid maintained by ComEd that serves your community cannot route specific power directly to your home. Those who purchase green power typically pay a premium to support green energy through the purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). RECs subsidize the cost of those companies that actually generate the green/renewable power.

 How can we be certain we are buying green / renewable power?

When a power supplier sells a “green energy” product in the marketplace, that supplier is required to purchase and retire RECs to support their green products. The supplier must document and report those transactions to the Midwest Renewable Energy Tracking System (M-RETS).

What is a Renewable Energy Certificate (REC); are they legitimate?

Yes. The Federal EPA has oversight of RECs and the renewable generation market. RECs represent the benefits and attributes of renewable green energy.  As energy is generated, the generators sell the RECs, which are numbered within an audited tracking system. RECs may be resold, used once and then must be retired. Anyone who claims they purchase renewable power either has on-site renewable generation such solar panels or a windmill directly hooked up to their home, or they must purchase RECs to support green power development.

How can I enroll in the program?

During the initial three-week opt out period, you need do nothing if you received a notice at your ComEd billing address; you will automatically be enrolled unless you opt out. The notice will detail whether your account will stay with ComEd or be switched to mc2.

What is an eligible resident or small commercial account?

Any resident who is currently with ComEd and has not already switched to an Alternative Retail Electric Supplier (ARES) or who is not enrolled in a special Residential Real-Time Pricing (RRTP) program is eligible, including small commercial accounts 15,000 kWh or less.  Your residence or business must be located within the City limits.

What if I don’t want to participate?

You may opt out before the program begins. You may leave the program after it begins, and you will never incur a fee.

Why is the City doing this?

A Municipal Electric Aggregation Program was approved by a simple majority in a 2012 voter Referendum allowing the City to seek pricing from an ARES for residents and small commercial accounts. The City is committed to environmental sustainability, and in this instance, there is zero additional cost to procure RECs for the City – a win-win.

Will I get two bills, one from ComEd and another from the new supplier?

No. ComEd will continue to bill you for electric supply, delivery and taxes.

Whom do I call if I have service problems?

Always call ComEd with reports of outages or downed power lines at 800-334-7661. For questions about your supply, you can call the customer service number for mc2. This will be listed under “Electric Supply Services” on your ComEd bill.

If I am automatically enrolled in the program now, can I leave the program at any time?

Yes, you can leave at any time with no termination fees.

I am enrolled in low-income assistance program. Will that be affected?

No. If you currently receive assistance via PIPP or LIHEAP, that status will not change and you can continue to get these benefits for your ComEd bill.

I am on ComEd’s budget billing plan. Will that change?  Can I still have my payment automatically deduced from my checking account as I do now?

Your participation in the budget billing plan won’t change. The way you pay your ComEd bill will not change.

Will someone come to my home or call to sign me up?

No. You need do nothing to be automatically enrolled in the program. If someone calls or visits your home claiming to be the City’s power supplier you may file a complaint with the ICC at

For more information about energy supply choices, visit the ICC site at

For questions about your electric account, do not call City Hall; call Elmhurst's aggregation program supplier, mc2, at 1-888-266-0146. If you require additional assistance, call NIMEC at 800-727-3820 to leave your question and callback number. You will be contacted within 24 hours regarding the issue.

To report an electrical outage, or for questions pertaining to your ComEd bill, call ComEd at 800-334-7661.