Hot Weather: Cooling Sites
High temperatures and humidity can pose a health and safety threat.
To request a well-being check for someone who may be suffering from the heat call 9-1-1.
A Cooling Site is an air-conditioned facility where residents can go to find relief from extreme heat.
The following is a list of cooling centers in Elmhurst:
Elmhurst Police Department
125 E. First St.
Non-Emergency number: (630) 530-3050 Open 24 hours/7 days a week
Elmhurst Public Library
125 S. Prospect Ave.
Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Elmhurst City Hall
209 N. York St.
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 pm. Saturday & Sunday: closed
Hot Weather Tips:
- Drink lots of water and natural juices; avoid alcoholic beverages, coffee and sodas.
- Avoid going outside in extreme heat.
- If you don’t have air conditioning, keep shades drawn and blinds closed, but windows slightly open.
- Keep electric lights off or turned down.
- Minimize use of your oven and stove.
- Wear loose, light, cotton clothing.
- Take cool baths and showers.
- Don’t leave anyone (including pets) in a parked car, even for a few minutes.
Cold Weather: Warming Sites
Freezing temperatures can pose a health and safety threat.
To request a well-being check for someone who may be suffering from the severe weather call 9-1-1.
Warming Site is a heated facility where residents can go to find safe refuge from extreme weather.
Click here to see a list of DuPage County warming sites
Elmhurst warming sites:
Elmhurst Public Library 125 S. Prospect (630) 279-8696Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.Sunday: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Call the Elmhurst Police Department for additional site referral:(630) 530-3050 Non-Emergency number
- Wear several layers of loose, warm clothing
- Keep your head, hands and feet covered when outdoors
- Avoid alcoholic beverages
- Recognize the symptoms of hypothermia: stiff muscles, shivering, puffy or
swollen face, cold skin, slow breathing and mental confusion
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater. Ovens should not be used to heat home.