Mobile Food Vendor License

Each individual mobile food vending operator and vehicle must be licensed before they are allowed to operate within the Elmhurst City limits. Vehicles must pass inspections at approved locations within 30 days of application. An original certificate of insurance must also accompany the application. Mobile food vendor operators are subject to a background check prior to approval. Operators must submit a Driving Abstract from the Secretary of State’s Office within 30 days of application. Mobile food units shall move from place to place upon the public ways and shall not be operated at a fixed location except as otherwise provided herein. Stops shall be made only to service customers and shall not exceed a total of 30 minutes in any one block. No such unit shall traverse any such block more often than twice in any given day. It shall be unlawful for a person or corporation to operate a mobile food unit unless such person or corporation possesses a valid license issued by the City Clerk. No operator of such unit shall park or stand such vehicle within 500 feet of a school or school playground while school is in session or during any time school activities are taking place. No sale shall be made from any such unit except when such vehicle is lawfully parked at the right hand street curb. Sales shall not be made from the left hand side of the vehicle (Chapter 31, Section 135).

Mobile Food Vendor Licenses

Type of Fee
Yearly Fee
Operator $75
Vehicle $25

Food and Beverage Tax
The City of Elmhurst will collect a 1% Food and Beverage Tax on the retail sale of food and beverage which includes all food, and alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages which are prepared for immediate consumption and which may be consumed either on and/or off the premise. Retail sales of packaged alcoholic liquor at any packaged liquor establishment are also included. Please contact the Finance Collections Office for more details at (630) 530-3117.