The primary mission of the Building Department is to effect the orderly processing of permit applications and subsequent inspections for all building activity within the community; and also to monitor and pursue compliance with standards of the adopted codes. This mission is fulfilled by: 1) Monitoring all building activity within the community by means of plan review; permit issuance and construction inspection; 2) Counseling prospective builders and developers relative to code requirements and life/safety issues; and 3) Responding to complaints for violations of the Municipal, Property Maintenance or series of adopted Building and Life Safety Codes.
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2019 THE STATE OF ILLINOIS HAS MANDATED THAT ALL MUNICIPALITIES ENFORCE THE 2018 EDITION OF THE INTERNATIONAL ENERGY CONSERVATION CODE FOR ALL COMMERCIAL AND RESIDENTIAL PROJECTS. THEREFORE, THE CITY OF ELMHURST IS ENFORCING THE IECC 2018 EDITION AS MANDATED.
New Lead Safety Law
Federal law requires contractors that disturb painted surfaces in homes, child care facilities and schools, built before 1978 to be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. Always ask to see your contractor’s certification.
Federal law requires that individuals receive certain information before renovating six square feet or more of painted surfaces in a room for interior projects or more than twenty square feet of painted surfaces for exterior projects or window replacement or demolition in housing, child care facilities and schools built before 1978.
Renovators must provide a “Renovate Right” pamphlet to all customers prior to renovation work.
For more information, go to this website: www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm
Residential Building Resources
- Above Ground Pool Checklist (PDF)
- Amendments to ICC International Swimming Pool & Spa (PDF)
- Check Valve Program (PDF)
- Construction Site Fencing (PDF)
- Construction Site Silt Fence Diagram (PDF)
- Deck Requirements (PDF)
- Demo Permit Application and Checklist Forms 2022
- Demo Permit Packet 2022
- Residential Demo Notice Requirement Packet 2022
- Detached Garages Requirements (PDF)
- Generator Guidelines (PDF)
- Guardrail Code (PDF)
- Lawn Sprinkler Permit Requirements (PDF)
- Overhead Sewer Program (PDF)
- Plumbing Contractors Fire Safety Rule (PDF)
- Radon Law (PDF)
- Reroofing Info (PDF)
- Roofing Ice Protection (PDF)
- Sanitary Sewer Repair Replacement Requirements (PDF)
- Sidewalks and Approaches (PDF)
- Site Development Plan Submittal Requirements (PDF)
- Snow Fence and Tree Protection Requirements (PDF)
- Water Meter and Service Upgrades (PDF)
- Water Meters for Single Family Homes (PDF)
- When Do You Need a Permit? (PDF)
- Fire Sprinkler or Fire Alarm - Owner Info Certificate - 2022