The following guidelines outline electronic sign usage:
Eligibility: The following entities are eligible to submit requests for electronic sign messages.
Priority for messaging is in the following order:
- City of Elmhurst messaging including emergency messages. City of Elmhurst messaging of any type will always maintain top priority. In the event of an emergency, all planned messaging will cease and the emergency message will stay active until there is no longer a need for the message.
- Events sponsored by other units of local government including public school districts, with jurisdictional boundaries, which overlap the corporate limits of the City.
- Elmhurst not-for-profit organizations that are sponsoring an event within the City of Elmhurst that is open to the public, whose primary purpose is not-for-profit and not for commercial gain. No private business messages can be displayed on the electronic sign and no outside advertising will be permitted. A not-for-profit organization is defined as an Illinois or IRS/Internal Revenue Services registered not-for-profit organization, with a tax exemption number, either based in the City of Elmhurst or whose service area consists principally in the City of Elmhurst.
Regulations for Operation of Electronic Sign:
The electronic sign will operate from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., 7 days a week, and comply with the following regulations:
- Electronic format in conformance with City standards
- Messages will be displayed for a period of no less than 15 seconds at a time
- Messages will change instantaneously and will not fade out or dissolve
- Emergency messages may be shown 24 hours a day
- There is a limit to 2 messages per quarter from each organization.
- There will be no more than 4 non-City messages on each sign during one week.
- Message board requests from not-for-profits are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to the eligibility and priority standards set forth above in this policy. The City reserves the right to display or deny messages.
- Availability for the following calendar year will become available at 8:30 a.m. on the first Monday in January of the current calendar year. Requests can be made in person at the City Hall Admin counter or by phone (630)530-6018.
- There is a $35 fee for each message per screen for one week. Checks may be made payable to the City of Elmhurst and must be received within one week/5 business days of request. Space will not be held for more than 5 business days if payment is not received. Checks made out to the City of Elmhurst should be hand delivered or mailed to Elmhurst City Hall – 209 N. York Street to the attention of CITY ADMIN.
- No refunds will be issued.
- High-resolution PDF or JPEG should be sent to email@example.com no later than 4 weeks prior to the requested display time. Files over 5MG should be sent through large file-sending services, such as WeTransfer.com.
- The City will not design any organization’s banner artwork. Art submitted must be complete.
- The City will evaluate the file and request adjustments if necessary based on sign spec requirements.
- Messages will be displayed in full standard color and will not feature any additional effects such as but not limited to blinking or flashing.
- Content should be limited to:
- Group/Event Name
- Date, Time & Place
- Website or Phone
- Bold text, 3 lines max
- Content will NOT include:
- White or light background
- Script font
- Artwork should be sized at 1248 pixels wide x 208 pixels high.
- ** WHITE BACKGROUND WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED**
- Each entity or organization may request 2 messages to be displayed per quarter year. (Jan. 1 – March 31, April 1 – June 30, July 1 – Sep. 30, Oct. 1 – Dec. 31.)
- Units of Local Government may exceed the above limitations, with City approval.
- Week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday. The City maintains the authority to edit all messages. No message will be displayed that includes comments that may be deemed inappropriate. The City will contact the message requester to notify them of their message request status.