IdentificationIn order to register, applicants are required to furnish two forms of identification, and except in the case of a homeless individual, one of which must include his or her residence address.
- Driver's license, social security card, public aid identification card, utility bill, employee or student identification card, lease or contract for a residence, credit card, or a civic, union or professional association membership card.
- You must be a United States citizen
- You must be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- You must live in your election precinct at least 30 days before the next election
- You must not be convicted and in jail
- You cannot claim the right to vote anywhere else
Where and How to Register to VoteYou must register at least 28 days prior to an election in order to vote in that election. You can register by mail or in person.
You can register in person at Elmhurst City Hall Administration Office or at the Election Commission office in addition to some local Libraries. A list of voter registration locations is available here. When registering, be sure to bring two forms of identification with you, one of which must have your correct address on it.
Recent legislation now allows you to complete an application online via the Illinois State Board of Elections website. Click here to access the Illinois Online Voter Application.
NOTE: To apply electronically you must provide:
- Your Illinois Driver’s License number or Illinois Secretary of State issued State ID number.
- Date the license or ID was issued.
- The last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Your birth date.
You can also register by mail using an approved registration application form. You may download a PDF registration form, or you may contact the Election Commission to have a form sent to you. Instructions are included on the form for where to mail it.
Please note the following deadline information:
- You must mail or deliver this form no later than 28 days before the next election.
- If you do not receive a confirmation within 4 weeks of mailing or delivering this form, call the DuPage County Election Commission at 630-407-5600.
- If you have never registered to vote in DuPage County and you are now registering, then you must send one of the following with this application:
- A copy of a current and valid photo identification -or-
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address.
- If you do not provide the information required above, then you will be required to provide election officials with this information the first time you vote at the polling place.
- If you register by mail, then you must vote in person the first time you vote if you do not supply the required identification.
- If the form is not completed in full, the application will NOT be processed.
- Download the Voter Application